7 Ways To Get Your Child
Excited About Reading
Does your child spend too much time watching TV or playing video games and not enough time reading? Here are 7 quick tips to make reading fun and exciting:
1. Let your child choose books they’re personally interested in. This way they won’t get bored right away. If they can’t decide, help them by matching a book topic with one of their interests.
2. Encourage them to act out the book as a play. Kids love to perform for others, and this will help them remember more.
3. Ask your child to draw pictures of the characters. This gets them to really think about the details, plus it’s fun!
4. Read chapter books. These have more surprises and character development, which will help your child visualize the words more.
5. Take turns reading and let them ask questions. Also, have them read aloud to their siblings or friends.
6. Work with other parents to start a book club for kids. Here’s a video: www.howdini.com/howdini-video-14452277.html
7. Get your child an eReader. If you can’t get them away from video games, at least make their time in front of a screen more productive. If you have an iPAD, go to www.progressbythepage.com to find a reading app. It comes with a list of free eBooks, and ways to monitor their time spent reading.